Wethersfield Veterans Commission
In 2018 the Wethersfield Town Council established a Veterans Commission "to assist and advise the Town and its resident on veterans' issues and to coordinate and assist in the planning, organization and conduct of the Memorial Day parade and the Veterans Day Ceremony. In addition, the Commission shall advise the Town Council on matters of concern to veterans and their families and on measures the Council can undertake to better serve the needs of veterans and their families."
The Veterans Commission consists of seven members and is advised by two Town staff liaisons and one Town Council liaison, listed below. The members have established the following initial planning goals to guide the Commission’s efforts during its first year and beyond:
Short Term Goals: (2019)
- Get the word out about the commission and its goals
- Conduct a needs assessment using multiple methods to better understand the needs of Wethersfield veterans and their families
- Support the 2019 Memorial Day Parade and Veterans Day Events
- Support the Wethersfield High School D-Day Commemoration
Long Term Goals: (1–2 Years)
- Evaluate and make recommendations regarding future commission structure
- Review needs assessment and recommend actions to address needs
- Consider one special initiative per year
Meetings are typically held on the second Wednesday of each month at 6 p.m. in the Town Hall, 505 Silas Deane Highway. There are no meetings in July and August. The commission's agendas and meeting minutes are available online. For further information contact the Parks and Recreation Department at (860) 721-2890.
- Ryan Biggs, Co-Chair
- Dan Camilliere
- Rick Newell, Vice Chair
- Helen Nye, Secretary
- Frank Sena
- Doug Shipman, Co-Chair
- Town Staff Liaisons:
- Kathy Bagley, Director of Parks & Recreation and Social & Youth Services
- Chris Taylor, Veterans Services Contact, Social & Youth Services
Contacting the Commission
Contact the Wethersfield Veterans Commission by e-mail, or use the comment form below.
Learn more about services for veterans at https://wethersfieldct.gov/social/veterans.
This form is being offered to residents who would like to offer a suggestion or comment or may have a question for the Veterans Commission. Please fill out the information below.
Please note: This form is not intended for emergency purposes and is not monitored 24/7. If you need immediate general assistance dial 211 or 911 for an emergency.