Wethersfield Veterans Commission
News for Veterans
There are no items to display at this time
In 2018 the Wethersfield Town Council established a Veterans Commission "to assist and advise the Town and its resident on veterans' issues and to coordinate and assist in the planning, organization and conduct of the Memorial Day parade and the Veterans Day Ceremony. In addition, the Commission shall advise the Town Council on matters of concern to veterans and their families and on measures the Council can undertake to better serve the needs of veterans and their families."
The Veterans Commission consists of seven members and two alternates appointed by the Town Council, and is advised by two Town staff liaisons and one Town Council liaison, listed below. The Commission members conducted a needs-assessment in 2019-20, and have established the following goals to guide its actions in the next 2-5 years:
- Provide information to Wethersfield Veterans about benefits, services and opportunities for participation and support. Use multiple forms of media to target specific cohorts and needs, including US Mail, email and social media to reach different Veteran cohorts.
- Connect Wethersfield Veterans to Town services and other resources. Increase the Town's capacity to connect Veterans and their families with Veterans services and benefits through the Website, establishment of Veterans Resource Centers at places like the Library and Senior Center, and better use of data to target referrals.
- Sponsor outreach activities to build Veteran awareness of the Veteran's Commission and available resources. Sponsor Veterans Coffees, Information Sessions and meet with Seniors Groups and other groups.
- Encourage increased Veteran participation and engagement in Town-sponsored Veterans events and other civic organizations. Increase Veteran participation in the Memorial Day Parade, Veteran's Day ceremony, and other opportunities. Leverage these events and others as additional means of providing information to Veterans and their families.
- Foster youth involvement with Veterans. Incorporate and support opportunities through the High School Leadership Club, High School commemorative and educational events, and others, to bring youth and Veterans together.
Meetings are typically held on the second Wednesday of each month at 6 p.m. in the Town Hall, 505 Silas Deane Highway; or via Zoom as health conditions dictate. There are no meetings in July and August. The commission's agendas and meeting minutes are available online. For further information contact the Parks and Recreation Department at (860) 721-2890.
- Tricia Giscombe
- Jennifer Glick
- Rick Newell, Vice Chair
- Helen Nye, Secretary
- Frank Sena
- Doug Shipman, Co-Chair
- Sandra Rhodes, Alternate
- Laura Bloomquist, Alternate
- Town Staff Liaisons:
- Mary Thibeault, Assistant Director of Parks & Recreation
- Chris Taylor, Veterans Services Contact, Social & Youth Services
Town Council Liaison:
Contacting the Commission
Contact the Wethersfield Veterans Commission by e-mail, or use the comment form below.
Learn more about services for veterans at https://wethersfieldct.gov/social/veterans.
This form is being offered to residents who would like to offer a suggestion or comment or may have a question for the Veterans Commission. Please fill out the information below.
Please note: This form is not intended for emergency purposes and is not monitored 24/7. If you need immediate general assistance dial 211 or 911 for an emergency.